Community Projects of Havre de Grace (CPoHdG) was founded in 1998 as a 501(c)(3) organization with the initial charter of building a new stadium for the local high school. In the end, that project, which surpassed $3 million, became the largest and perhaps most well developed high school stadium in Harford or Cecil counties.
After completion of the stadium project, CPoHdG reached out to other community organizations that did not already enjoy 501(c)(3) status and eventually formed an umbrella organization that now serves several committees which are covered by CPoHdG’s insurances and receive administrative support. CPoHdG has no paid staff, owns no property, pays no taxes, charges no dues, and encompasses over 300 volunteers.
Today, CPoHdG provides funds and fiscal leadership to and maintains financial records (including bill-paying) for its committees at no charge.
Currently, CPoHdG oversees the following active committees:
- Cat Club – Providing non-commercial trash/litter cleanup for the Havre de Grace area
- Twinning – Coordinating activities between Havre de Grace and its twin city (town) in Wales, UK
- Ernest Burke Statue – Responsible for the creation and erection of a statue honoring Ernest Burke, a Negro League baseball player from Havre de Grace
- Havre de Grace Farmer’s Market – Operating a farmers’ market in town from May through November
- Stray Streets – Providing trap, neuter and release operations for over 200 feral cats each year
- Thanksgiving Dinner – Serving 1,500 meals to community people on Thanksgiving Day
- Celebrate the Fourth – Coordinating Independence Day celebrations in concert with the City Commission
- Havre de Grace Trails – Provide focused attention on trail development, maintenance and identifying signage so residents and visitors may be aware of the many systems within the City
- Memorial Preservation – Clean, repair and provide general upkeep to the various memorials within the City